IF:Fortune --- True Story of a Baby Hippo & Tortoise Friendship



This week's prompt, Fortune, inspired me to draw the Orphaned Baby Hippo (Owen) who adopted a 130 year old Tortoise (Mzee) after the 2004 Tsunami. At first, Mzee did not want to be Owen's "mother," but Owen persisted and by the end of their first night, the two were found snuggled up together. It is good fortune that Owen met Mzee and they were to become unlikely friends.

You can find out more by typing their names on the WEB. They are at Haller Park Sanctuary in Africa. It is a heartwarming story that my daughters' introduced me to.

Comments

Janice Ykema said…
what a great story... I WILL look it up... and a very sweet depiction of their most fortunate friendship... Hardship causes one to cross a lot of boundaries that one would never consider normally.
Anonymous said…
Yes, I have heard about that story, there's even a book published with amazing pictures. It is a heartwarming story, as is your beautiful illustration. I love how they are snuggling against each other, and the sweet expressions on their faces. Just lovely...
studio lolo said…
I remember seeing this and getting all choked up about it. Your illo is a wonderful reminder of this amazing relationship. Thank you!
Designing Fairy said…
Oh Diana, I saw that story on tv! Wasn't that wonderful! Didn't you just cry! Such a sweet illo. A great homage to the two.
Anonymous said…
What a nice and charming illo ... I can really feel the love and I love the colors!!!
Kathleen Rietz said…
So sweet! I love the books out about these 2, and your illustration shows such a sweet friendship!
nicole falk said…
i just read their story..and it is so sweet and sad...i hate that they have to get separated..

beautiful drawing..
Unknown said…
this is a beautiful illustration and and a lovely heart wrenching story. congratulations you made me cry (at work no less!) :) have a creative week!
Bill said…
So Owen is Mzee's toy and the bear is Owen's toy? Great story and great illustration.
Ellen said…
Nice interpretation of the theme! I remember that story...lovely illo.
steve said…
This is great! And yes, isn't the book great as well?

Popular posts from this blog